Monday, March 21, 2011

Are you a slave to your stuff?

I often think of Jesus and His time here in an earthly body. It was simple. Sandals, clothes, friends, family, shared home and food... simple but wonderful. He has me in a bit of a different place... but am I not supposed to still look to Him for HOW I should live. I have been asking Him what do I need to fulfill the plan in which He has me and not the latest magazine or tv show to tell me.
After cleaning out stuff more than once... like pealing back an onion I still find things in my home that I am not sure why I still keep them. This may not be the case for you.. obviously the Lord is doing a work in me that I am aware of at this time in my life. I know He has the bigger plan. But really; I think everyone can look at their stuff and ask themselves "do I really need this in my home?" When you own an item it needs to be maintained, cleaned, take up some space in your home, and hopefully used. After a while though if you feel like your things are closing in on you, you don't have a place for everything you have kept, or you make comments like "I may need it someday" then maybe you need to start to let go to. Are you a slave to your possessions? I like the quote below. I try to keep that in mind every time I clean a room.
”Have nothing in your house that you do not 
know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.“ 
William Morris
The Lord's response to me is- you need love, patience, kindness, joy, peace, consistency, fellowship... you need to nourish your children with good food, warm clothes, and a safe place to sleep and play, teach them all day, train them up in My Word! So as you can see from that list that not many of the items are actual things after all. 
Here are some things we do to keep stuff under control in our nest-

  • All items must fit in the room in which we use them and that includes toys which must fit in their rooms and have a home to go back to after they are done playing with them
  • Most homeschool books are only purchased if they will be used for many years, with multiple children, and used for many weeks... we try to get other books at the library
  • We try to use the rule if something comes in then something must go out
  • Remember just because society says you have to own an item doesn't mean you have to listen... I know some folks that don't own a tv, a microwave, or a dishwasher and are just fine without them
We are a family of 4 that live comfortably in 1000 sq. ft. home with a basement. In that space we make meals, create, learn, play, rest and flourish. 

If you need a little focus(not to clutter space with more books) the book From Clutter to Clarity by Nancy Twigg or check her out at http://www.nancytwigg.com/

This book helps you to refocus on Christ and not on stuff or bad attitudes. 
Blessings from my nest to yours





No comments:

Post a Comment