Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Farm chores without the farm....

So I seem to have made the best of the situation it seems. I don't have a farm YET and living in the burbs gives me only so much room to expand my homestead. I don't think that has stopped me from sharing in the bounties elsewhere. I just received my lovely quilted quilt back from Janie at the Wallace Homestead where she used her long arm to make my Around the World quilt look almost professional. Now for me to finish the edge in the midst of finishing planting my garden, starting to plan out my herbal berry jam/jelly preserving, and finding a budget friendly way to prepare my bags of wool so they can be spun into yarn. Also trying to find a local source for elder flowers and nettles in the wild. I think I have found a nice crop of nettles but the elder flowers still allude me. What will I do with nettles you ask? Well, with some fresh spring cream I am making nettle soup(irish recipe) and nettle quiche. Inspiration coming from England in the form of many episodes of River Cottage, we will be learning to do more foraging as we learn our botany this summer. We are doing the Botany in a Day book to learn our plant families as we forage some local areas. One area we visited on Sunday is our well loved farm family at Shepherd Valley. It was a rainy day but we managed to dig up some cattails, look at a property, and meet new lambs Emma and Gavin. My Gavin also helped to feed Nigel the house lamb at the moment.

Emma and Gavin with mom Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment