Friday, December 20, 2013

Embracing the Rhythm



   So this crunchy momma(google the term if you want to know more) has been busy snuggling with the new baby, homeschooling kids and trying to embrace the winter rhythm. I didn't realize how blessed I am with this till this past week. Someone mentioned how calm the baby and I are... it must just be me they said, that I am calm. Oh it was not always that way.... at least inside it didn't used to feel that way. My life was over-run with stuff, my day was over scheduled, I never felt like I had enough time, relations were strained and we were lucky if dinner made it on the table. As we made deliberate choices in life to live a certain way we could see ourselves getting more centered with all areas of life; spiritually(grounded/connected), mentally(calmer/less-stressed), physically(healthier/more energy) and our life in general.



    So what do some of those choices look like...

  • growing more of our own food(this is a work in progress)
  • buy as much organic as possible(offers more nutrition and less chemicals)
  • grouping errands so we only run once a week
  • limit children's outside activities so they can actually have time to be kids and become less stressed adults
  • embracing and investing in who God made us with our unique personalities(activities we are involved in reflect this like my daughter spinning wool, raising rabbits or my son with building) 
  • limit tv and video games(as they get older this has been a little harder)
  • making things at home like foods, cleaning products, toiletries, cloths, baby items, gifts, etc.
  • homeschooling(a routine and not a strict schedule)
  • lessening our consumerism(buy less, buy local, buy natural, buy quality so it lasts longer, etc)
  • Refuse, Reduce, Repair, Reuse(upcycle), Recycle
  •  embracing the seasons by going with the cycles, eating seasonally, seasonal activities(bird watching, playing in the snow, knitting, quilting, snow shoeing, etc.)  and gratitude for those changes 
  • sustainable practices like heating and/or cooking with wood, using less gas, taking fewer showers, buying food in bulk, canning, eating wild foraged/caught/killed foods, recycling oil for use in the tractor, etc.
  • using natural whole food supplements, homeopathics, herbals, other natural remedies and getting plenty of rest 
So why do I share this with you... to inspire, encourage, educate, and an affirmation of what your already doing. You might also ask why bother, isn't that a lot of work? Well, I am worth it, my family is worth it, my community is worth it, YOU are worth it and our planet is worth it. Yes it is work but work that is purposeful and fulfilling! We don't have it all figured out, it didn't happen overnight but we do what we can and always have the goal to improve as we grow. Embrace the rhythm of the season!

1 comment: